Author Topic: Forwarded to me by Montgomery County Fly Rodders  (Read 473 times)

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
Forwarded to me by Montgomery County Fly Rodders
« on: August 08, 2012, 05:52:22 PM »
    FLYWATER ANGLING ADVENTURES

Captain Steve Hollensed

Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide

FFF Master Certified Casting Instructor

flywaterangling.com

TEXOMA FISHING REPORT

Current water temperature is about 86 degrees; lake level is 616 ASL; visibility is good to excellent.

Striper fishing is very good to excellent now. Topwater action has been strong for almost two months now and should continue into early fall. Striper concentrations are now found on mid to main lake areas. Blitzes are occurring almost daily with the exceptions of a few Saturdays where weekend traffic has been a negative factor. (for whatever reason, Saturdays did not fly fish well in July) Best times are early morning to mid morning, however on some days we have found some excellent fishing in mid afternoon also. Poppers fished on the surface and streamers fished at or near the surface will catch lots of fish. The blitzing stripers are chasing shad that vary in size, so it pays to watch & observe the size of shad the fish are chasing. Another technique that has worked well this summer is casting integrated shooting heads like the Orvis Depth Charge line under the blitzing stripers or on deeper structure. When the blitzing stops, the schools often relate to deeper, topographic structure like humps, points, and ledges. Currently, we are fishing topwater patterns at first light around points and ledges for the bigger fish, then moving out to more open water to fish the blitzes as the light gets stronger.

The Texoma striper population is in great shape. ODWC & TPWD reported that, based on the February 2012 biological surveys, a significant part of the population was between 16 inches & 24 inches, with 27% of the population over 20 inches long. This is very consistent with what we have observed on the water this year. Our state agencies are doing a great job of managing Lake Texoma.

Smallmouth fishing is generally slow right now. However we had one of our best springs ever for smallmouth this year. April & May produced lots of smallmouth, with a good number of them over the 20 inch mark. Based on this, I am looking forward to a great fall smallmouth season...like last fall.

This is a great time to fly fish Lake Texoma and get into the topwater action. I still have a few weekdays in August & the first part of September available. Half days work well during the summer. We are off the water before it gets very hot. Also, this is also a great time to book your preferred dates for this fall. October and November are filling up. Fall is a great time to fish the blitzes under the birds all day long.

HOSTED TRIPS

I have two weeks reserved at the Orvis Endorsed Blue Damsel Lodge near Missoula, MT to fish the spring Skwala hatch April 1-5 and April 8-12. Both weeks are already sold out with a standby list in the event of cancellations. If you would like to be on the standby list just let me know. I will be announcing the 2014 dates upon our return next April. This has proven to be a unique trip with great dry fly fishing.

Also be watching for new hosted trips. Something different.

FLY CASTING

If you are an FFF Certified Casting Instructor mark your calendar for June 7 & June 8, 2013. Chuck Easterling and I are conducting a Continuing Education event in Mountain Home Arkansas with Joe Libeu as guest instructor. Joe is from the West Coast and brings a rich background of competitive casting and has vast amounts of successful teaching to his credit. You will not want to miss this one.

GEAR TALK

Well, this past week it came time to repower my Falcon Boat. (that is a nice way of saying that my old outboard was worn-out) This week I repowered with a new 200hp. SHO Yamaha four-stroke from Blackbeard Marine. The recent advancements that Yamaha has made in outboard technology is just unbelievable. The folks at Blackbeard Marine (580.564.9567) were great to work with and provided great service. I highly recommend them for both service and sales.

Most of you know that I am a big fan of Orvis AR (Abrasion Resistant) leaders. After being discontinued for a short time I am so glad they are back. And this is the time of the year that I appreciate them the most...you can tie on a fly in the morning with a good knot and catch schooling stripers all morning or all day and not have to retie at all. And you will not lose a fish or fly. (although stripers do not have teeth, they do have a very abrasive, sandpaper-like, mouth) The AR leaders are even more important now for largemouth fishing and smallmouth fishing on Texoma too because of the zebra mussels on the rocks. If you are a warmwater fly fisher, you might want to try these leaders.

Very often this year I have provided clients with Orvis Access rods. (both 7 & 8 weights) This was the first year that I have really put them to the test. They performed at the highest level. They were powerful for distance with big bugs and yet lightweight and enjoyable for lots of casting. Truly, these are great rods at a great price.