Author Topic: Isla Holbox tarpon - July 18-26, 2012 report  (Read 585 times)

Animal Chris

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Isla Holbox tarpon - July 18-26, 2012 report
« on: August 02, 2012, 02:13:11 PM »
Well, this time last week, I was sitting in Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville (Cancun) enjoying an $18 cheeseburger, throwing back a cold one or two and waiting on my flight back to reality. The previous week was spend chasing tarpon on Isla Holbox, off peaceful little island about an hour west and an hour north of Cancun. We saw lots of rolling tarpon every day but the last one when we saw damned few. I went two for two on tarpon, both in the 60 lb. range, on the fly. The large fish for the week was caught by my fishing partner, Jim Farley on a coon pop. This was a solid fish in the 110 lb. range. These fish are in 25 ft. of water so we got a little work out. On the last day, we spent too much time off the beach looking for the large tarpon so, we didn't get to go chase the smaller poons in the lagoon. But, we slipped up a creek just down from the hotel and nailed a nice snook, the perfect capper to a great trip.

To say that we had a great time is a major understatement and I'm here to tell you, I'll be going back. There are small tarpon around there year round. In February and again in July through September, is when the large tarpon show up. November through February is traditionally when the snook migration happens. Since the primary quarry was the larger tarpon, I took two heavy weight outfits (TFO Bluewater rods), rigged with a full sinking line and weighted flies on large, heavy duty hooks, one 8 wt. (TFO BVK) rigged with floating line for baby tarpon and my stump puller (TFO MiniMag) with an 8 wt line to pull snook out of the mangroves. If you pack wisely, you can pack in one bag that will fit in the overhead along with your rods but, I ended up checking a bag anyway.

The accomodations are adequate, clean sheets, hot and cold running water, cold A/C and maid service. We didn't have a bad meal. Lobster season had just opened the weeke before so we had that a time or two, had some good grilled meat as well as fresh pasta with what ever topping you'd like and all within walking distance of the hotel. It's also a great place to people watch while waiting for the sun to set...while sipping on a made from scratch 'rita.

I've got lots of pics and a few movies that I'll try to get posted as soon as they are downloaded and edited. This was my second fish, caught on a Holbox Purple Death.

Tight lines, Chris

John

• View Profile
    • Flyfishing, Flytying, Saltwater
Re: Isla Holbox tarpon - July 18-26, 2012 report
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 07:33:06 PM »
Nice report buddy I hope to soon be able to make it down there....

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
Re: Isla Holbox tarpon - July 18-26, 2012 report
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 08:58:13 AM »
I too have heard a lot of good things about the fishing down there, the hotel and the local guides are very proficient. Another item for my ever expanding "Bucket List".  Thanks for the great report, please post up some more pics when you have the time.
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>