Author Topic: Guadalupe One Fly  (Read 6087 times)

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: January Fresh Water Outing
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 10:26:44 PM »
Dad has his ups and downs. He'll be okay for  awhile and then, not so good.

You still going to the boat show? Gonna hit it early Sunday if you want to join us. Let me know.
333 - I'm only half bad!

ScottB

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 08:20:19 AM »
I signed up this morning.  Here are the answers to Matt's questions:

Wade, not float. Newby.  I have only been a few times. GRTRU - Yes.  GRTU guest pass - Yes, I have one.

I did go to the Guadalupe yesterday.  Caught six trout.  It was a beautiful day to be on the river.  Had a good time.  Going again tomorrow.

Scott

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 07:29:25 AM »
Preparation for the Guadalupe is well under way. Just completed building a new 5wt rod, and am anxious to try it out. Gave it a try on a local landscape lake over the weekend and caught a small catfish, but I'm ready for a real fish. I need to go buy a bunch of new stuff, and a bucket full of trout flies.

I've been working on my one-fly, and while I probably shouldn't divulge my secret here is what I'm coming up with:

The nice thing about a "corn" fly is that you can sprinkle the water with a can of Green Giant Niblets, then "match the hatch." Also, since these flies are made of foam, they do a nice job of absorbing gulp juice. I've had mine soaking for a week, so by the 28th we should be ready.

Glad to see people are catching fish on the Guadalupe, this whole freshwater thing will be new to me.

Looking forward to it!

George
Is that a strike indicator or a bobber?

CarpMan

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 01:21:26 PM »
See below for an extra incentive to attend the One Fly! I have taken a trip with Brent before and can thoroughly recommend him as a guide.

Happy New Year!

We're happy to announce that REELFLY FISHING ADVENTURES has opened a fly
shop at Canyon Lake!  Conveniently located at the intersection of FM2673
and River Road, you can't miss us!  In addition to offering our guide
service and lodging at THE CREEL, we've added a whole line of fly fishing
products to include:
99cent hand-tied American-made flies, rods, reels, waders, apparel, tools,
and fly tying materials and everything in between. Affordable rentals and
lessons are available and a host of classes will be held at the shop
monthly. You'll find great prices and quality products as well as ongoing
specials throughout the year.
Join us for our weekend long grand opening Fri Jan 27, Sat Jan 28, and Sun
Jan 29, 2012!  To amp up the excitement, we'll have wine varieties and
Trout Slayer beer on tap to sample!
  ALSO:
We'd like to extend a special offer to our returning customers and fly
fishing club members-
Full Day Guided Trip for 2 with lunch on the Guadalupe River
AT OUR OLD RATE OF JUST  $300.00!!  You save $50.00!!

25% OFF LODGING  (2 night stay or more please) That's $56.25 per night!!
Light breakfast included

Buy 1 dozen flies and get a Waterproof Fly Box for only $13.95!!  (Reg
$16.95)

We look forward to seeing you soon and maybe even fishing with you!

Thank you,

Brent & Ashley
ReelFly Fishing Adventures
830 964-GUAD Fly Shop
830 515-7285 Mobile
830 899-6177 Evening
www.reelfly.net

Nigel

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 04:31:44 PM »
Mr. Graham, Sounds good so far. Just curious what are you doing for lodging?

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 10:51:30 AM »
Sound like we'll need a plan for lodging... I'm thinking that riverside cabins sounds good - anybody have any ideas? Dinner at the Gristmill and a nice whisky and cigar overlooking the river. Not too bad... Or we can look for a I-35 hotel in San Marcos or new Braunfels. I like the idea of staying both Friday and Saturday, so we can enjoy a few beers and lies after the event, then fish a bit on Sunday morning before the return trip.

Any other thoughts, or anyone interested? Who's up?

George

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 04:07:51 PM »
I'm with George on this one.  River side lodge if afordable, George find us some good rates and let us know ASAP for Friday and Saturday nites. Maybe some rooms at the I-35 corridor are more reasonably priced, Either way I'm in!

So far we have but we need more!

Matt B.
Mike G.
Scott B.
Jared F.
George S.

There are plenty of trout fishers in our club...where are they now? So far we have all Saltwater guys where are the "freshies".

I spoke with Denis A.  He would like to come but can't confirm this early due to work concerns.
What about Steve V.earlier he said he was busy this time of year but just maybe? 
Harry C. said he wanted to come and so did Adam M.,  Alex Balcque loves these little creatures.
What about Dave L. he travels all the way to NM to fish for smaller fish than the Guad has!
Jerry Loring lives three miles from the river!
Who's calling these people? We need some activity here. Don't make me GO POSTAL! :o >:( :o

PS I'm going to the tying class tonite wanna join me well come on!
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 09:25:03 AM »
If someone needs a room, I have booked a double at the Rodeway Inn (1209 I-35 N @ Hwy 46 , New Braunfels, TX, US, 78130) at $42/night.  They should have more rooms available.
333 - I'm only half bad!

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 07:20:37 PM »
Wormdrowner I thought you said to day you were in on the lodging on the river?  Nigel George has found a great deal down on the river we are planning to stay Friday and Saturday nites. the rate is approximately 60.00 each night or less (tax included).  The place sleeps five and will aford us safe overnite parking and fishing right out our front door. If that is OK with you  - your in.

So far lodging on the River.

Mike G         In
George S.     In
Scott B.       Pending
Jared F.       Pending
Mike Q.        Pending

We could squeeze in another on an inflatable if needed which would make everybody's price go DOWN!

Friday let's plan on trying to assemble around 7:00PM remember it is three hour drive to River not counting Houston Traffic.
Satrurday nite Dinner and local bar scene...Jared bring your Cowboy hat, ZZ Top Beard, and some cheap sunglasses... that otta work! We'll try and keep the chicks off you!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:23:53 PM by Golden »

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 09:06:10 PM »
Golden,

Yeah, I posted this before we talked today. I'm still keeping reservation open for a bit, J.I.C. but will most likely cancel it next week once everything is firmed up.
333 - I'm only half bad!

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2012, 12:29:53 PM »
Good news for lodging during the Guadalupe One-Fly! I've been able to secure a cottage on the rinver, in the Rio Raft Resort. Not exactly the lap of luxury, but it is on the river, has a deck, coffee pot, and a few beds. Perfect!

The details are:
Location: Rio Raft Resort, 14130 River Road, New Braunfels, Tx. 78132. Same place where Matt has arranged for us to start the event. It is actually closer to Sattler. 4th Crossing Bridge on River Rd, about 1/2 mile South of the Light at FM-2673 and River Road. easy to find on google maps or http://rioraft.com/index.php. Reserved for both Friday and Saturday nights.

Cottage has four beds, a sofa, and there should be room for an air mattress (or other inflatables) if someone wants to occupy floor space. Confirmed: Mike G and George S. Availiable to: Scott B, Jared F, and Mike Q. Matt B is staying elsewhere, he said something about a wine collection in a location he would not disclose. Hunh. If we have more people sign up we might be able to secure an additional cottage (numbers depending) or rely on an I-35 corridor La Quinta.

Location is right on the river, has a deck and ample space for unwinding outside with a beer and a cigar. Ahhhh...! Absolutely no smoking inside the cottage; if you do you will be subject to a $100 "cleaning fee" per the resort. Bed linens are provided, but not bath linens. Thus you'll need to bring your own towel (or forego bathing, your choice). There is a kitchenette which has no cookware, so if anyone would like to do any cooking you'll need to bring everything you'll need. There is a coffeemaker, so the very basics are covered.  Should be great for a bit of wading on Sunday morning before the return trip.

Cost will be $62.50/ head/night if we have four, or $50/head/night if we have five. Total cost (driveout) is $495 which I have already paid, so you can reimburse me when we're there. Cash wholeheartedly accepted. I'll check in on Friday afternoon, checkout on Sunday by 11:00 am.

Better sign up soon, fellows, only two beds, a sofa, and the floor remaining! Don't make Golden chase you down!!!

Please let me know at the soonest whether you'd like to stay.

This will be a blast! Sign up and join the fun.

George

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2012, 04:20:21 PM »
YEAH... WHAT HE SAID!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome George, good job!  8)

Wake up FRESHIES The SALT has risen to the top!  Can't wait for one of us to win the Award HAHAHAHAHA!

You have been duely Challenged.

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

ScottB

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2012, 08:35:24 AM »
I'm in. Thanks for lining this up George. Sounds great. See you there cash in hand.

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2012, 02:59:38 PM »
Scott are you bringing your kayak or drifting down from Rio Raft or wading lease to lease?  Also if anybody has an extra pair of river boots size 11 (fit over my waders) I would appreaciate their use.  Coastal boots don't fair well on slippery angular rock. BumBusters.

I do plan drifting some of the deeper holes from the cataraft. 

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

ScottB

• View Profile
Re: Guadalupe One Fly
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2012, 11:23:23 AM »
I'm planning on wading.  Can't help you with boots.