Texas FlyFishers of HoustonEvent:
Guadalupe One FlyWhen:
Saturday January 28th Where:
Rio Raft Campground to start/A bar to be decided to finish Start Time:
8:00am End Time:
5:00pm Trip Leader:
Matt Blyth Phone:
832 444 4206 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Trip Description:
This is the club's annual One Fly competition on the Guad. We attempted to go last year but the trip was cancelled due to work on the damn. This year I am proposing some to change the format a little and to make this a pairs competition. Each newbie registered will be paired with an experienced trout angler and it will be the total length of fish caught by the pair that will be the decider. As normal each pair will choose one fly each to fish with and if you loose the fly then you are done. Of course if one member of the pair looses a fly then the team can still keep fishing with only one angler. If it is the newbie that looses the fly then I am considering a rule to make the experienced member hand their rod over and continue to act as a guide!
The whole point of these changes are to try and ensure that the less experienced members of the club dont just get left to wander around wondering what to do as every one else rushes off to their favorite spot. Of course this does require that we get a decent amount of people registered to make it work properly. GRTU has also recently stocked with plenty of 3-5lb fish too so you have the potential of some good sized fish.How to sign up: Sign Up On Line Here
, on the sign up sheet distributed at the monthly meeting or e-mail the trip leader.How to get waiver forms: Download here
Required Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact informationCost:
If you are not a GRTU Lease Access member then there is a parking fee at Rio Raft for the dayDirections: http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=0,0,1653060837485820025&fb=1&hq=rio+raft+campground&hnear=0x864070360b823249:0x16eb1c8f1808de3c,Texas&gl=us&daddr=14130+River+Road,+Canyon+Lake,+TX+78133&geocode=0,29.843803,-98.167497&sa=X&ei=FyjdTuKGKcrpsQLquKnoCQ&ved=0CAsQngIwAA About the area:
Some good information on the Guad can be found on the following websiteshttp://guadalupefly.com/http://www.grtu.org/Important items:
• Member dues are current!
• Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information. ( Can be downloaded here )
• Extra change of dry clothes
• Wind and/or water proof jacket
• Lunch, Water, snacks
• Sunscreen and Mosquito Repellant
• Hat, Polarized Glasses
• First Aid KitRecommended Equipment:
1) 3-5wt rod
2) 4-6x leaders and tippets - flourocarbon if you want
3) Polaroids - a lot of the fish are visible
4) Indicators if you want to use them
5) Split shot
6) Luck!Recommended Flies:
Well despite what some may say - these are not wild fish and are not hugely selective. They can be caught on egg patterns, san juan worms, standard nymphs, woolly buggers, soft hackles, midge patterns and canned corn....apparently. Choose what ever you feel comfortable fishing....Except for the corn.Recommended guidelines for participants:
• Notify the trip leader if you have any potential concerns
• If inexperienced, then buddy up.
• Have proper safety equipment
• If you are boating or kayaking, inform the trip leader of your float plan if planning to fish alone or longer then the designated times.
• Sign in and sign out at the launch site. Inform the trip leader if you will be launching in a different place.