Author Topic: Guadalupe One Fly  (Read 6197 times)

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
Guadalupe One Fly
« on: November 10, 2011, 11:00:36 PM »
Texas FlyFishers of Houston
Event: Guadalupe One Fly

When:  Saturday January 28th     
Where: Rio Raft Campground to start/A bar to be decided to finish   
Start Time: 8:00am 
End Time: 5:00pm   
Trip Leader: Matt Blyth
Phone:  832 444 4206     
e-mail:    carpman_1@yahoo.com   

Trip Description:
 This is the club's annual One Fly competition on the Guad. We attempted to go last year but the trip was cancelled due to work on the damn.  This year I am proposing some to change the format a little and to make this a pairs competition. Each newbie registered will be paired with an experienced trout angler and it will be the total length of fish caught by the pair that will be the decider.  As normal each pair will choose one fly each to fish with and if you loose the fly then you are done. Of course if one member of the pair looses a fly then the team can still keep fishing with only one angler. If it is the newbie that looses the fly then I am considering a rule to make the experienced member hand their rod over and continue to act as a guide!

The whole point of these changes are to try and ensure that the less experienced members of the club dont just get left to wander around wondering what to do as every one else rushes off to their favorite spot.  Of course this does require that we get a decent amount of people registered to make it work properly. GRTU has also recently stocked with plenty of 3-5lb fish too so you have the potential of some good sized fish.

How to sign up: Sign Up On Line Here, on the sign up sheet distributed at the monthly meeting or e-mail the trip leader.
How to get waiver forms: Download here Required  Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information
Cost: If you are not a GRTU Lease Access member then there is a parking fee at Rio Raft for the day

Directions:  http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=0,0,1653060837485820025&fb=1&hq=rio+raft+campground&hnear=0x864070360b823249:0x16eb1c8f1808de3c,Texas&gl=us&daddr=14130+River+Road,+Canyon+Lake,+TX+78133&geocode=0,29.843803,-98.167497&sa=X&ei=FyjdTuKGKcrpsQLquKnoCQ&ved=0CAsQngIwAA

About the area: Some good information on the Guad can be found on the following websites
http://guadalupefly.com/
http://www.grtu.org/

Important items:
• Member dues are current!
• Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information.  ( Can be downloaded here )
• Extra change of dry clothes
• Wind and/or water proof jacket
• Lunch, Water, snacks
• Sunscreen and Mosquito Repellant
• Hat, Polarized Glasses
• First Aid Kit

Recommended Equipment:
1) 3-5wt rod
2) 4-6x leaders and tippets - flourocarbon if you want
3) Polaroids - a lot of the fish are visible
4) Indicators if you want to use them
5) Split shot
6) Luck!

Recommended Flies: Well despite what some may say - these are not wild fish and are not hugely selective. They can be caught on egg patterns, san juan worms, standard nymphs, woolly buggers, soft hackles, midge patterns and canned corn....apparently.  Choose what ever you feel comfortable fishing....Except for the corn.

Recommended guidelines for participants:
• Notify the trip leader if you have any potential concerns
• If inexperienced, then buddy up.
• Have proper safety equipment
• If you are boating or kayaking, inform the trip leader of your float plan if planning to fish alone or longer then the designated times.
• Sign in and sign out at the launch site. Inform the trip leader if you will be launching in a different place.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 06:57:54 PM by Dave Kelly »

CarpMan

Re: January Fresh Water Outing
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 01:43:35 PM »
Trip info updated. Please read the section about how this is now a team event with everyone fishing in pairs. If you want to fish with someone in particular then please email me and i will pair you up, however the aim is to have inexperienced people fishing with more experience (for some people proof of experience might be required :))

Cheers
Matt

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 07:16:14 AM »
Count me in... I'm ready to go! Been interested in fishing those waters, will be a new experience for me. Also, not being experienced or outfitted for freshwater, it gives me a great excuse to go buy a whole bunch of new gear. Cool.

thanks Matt for putting htis together.
George
Is that a strike indicator or a bobber?

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 08:07:06 AM »
Don't have a kayak or canoe, but I might be up for wading it, if feasible.
333 - I'm only half bad!

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 08:43:28 AM »
I may have to do this thing!  I have very little experience on the Guad since my brother turned me onto the coast but it appears to be as good a time as any to start a new additction.  I'll need an experienced partner.  I have a Outcast Pontoon floatable (one man) but we'll need to arrange portage.  Is anybody staying overnight especially in view of the local bar scene!  Let me know.

Im calling my secret guadelupe guide/buddy.
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

GDSutherland

• Still have a Zebco 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 12:23:27 PM »
I'm signed up and like the idea of an overnight - especially if there is a local bar scene involved. I wonder who is playing at Gruene Hall that night? Hmmnn...
Is that a strike indicator or a bobber?

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 02:37:27 PM »
I'm signed up and like the idea of an overnight - especially if there is a local bar scene involved. I wonder who is playing at Gruene Hall that night? Hmmnn...

Shelby Lynn - country.      Gen ADM $20

Nigel

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 03:30:03 PM »
I'm signing up for this...if anyone wants to carpool I can drive there or back AND dinner at the Gristmill will be on me! (chicken fried steak is pretty dang good) ;D

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 03:52:03 PM »
It looks likely I'll be going but I need to wait until we get a little closer to be certain. Should be fun!
333 - I'm only half bad!

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 06:11:44 PM »
Jared I'm in if you want to ride with me.  I have room in my truck for a kayak or what ever you will be taking.  I am taking my outcast inflateable pontoon.  Sorry it only holds one fat guy and is not fast on the water.

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

CarpMan

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 04:01:30 PM »
All

If you are planning on attending the revised One Fly then please can you let me know two things - firstly if you plan on wading or floating and secondly how you rate yourself as a trout fisher? All fishing ratings will be then be vetted by the TFF committee to get a true rating :)

Actually what I need to know is if you are a newby or "experienced" so I can pair people up appropriately. Then I need to know how you plan on fishing so that I dont pair a wader up with a floater. I usually wade the river but thats just my preference as I prefer being in the water, floating does open up much more water but remember this is intended to be a pairs competition so your partner would need to float too.

If anyone is a GRTU lease access member please let me know that too and if you have any guest passes.

So thats actually three things...

And right now we only have 4 people signed up..so its me and George against Golden and Jarred :)

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 07:28:40 PM »
Well my Guadelupe experience has to do with ...well believe me it wasn't fishing!
Also very limited to where you can wade in without TU access.  The neighbors on the river "don't likes nobody cross'n my land."

Only FOUR signed up...You've got to be kidding me where are all of these flannel shirt, mountain khaki trout bums in our club Dave Lemke, Doc Joe, Slammin Adam, MR "San Juan" himself Marcos, and all of the rest of you guys who sit over there on that other side! Not to miss mentioning Mr. GOOD (not great) LOOPS!!!!! Get off your arses and lets MOVE IT! SIGN UP NOW! >:( >:( >:(

Wait a minute where in the heck is Ray Russ...Hey Ray don't you want to be the first Winner of both the salt and freshwater One Fly events?  :o

Although I'll be using Gulp's San Juan Worm attractor and a high-density poly-propylene 8 gr. corn pellet dropper on twenty-five pound florocarbon leader.  I can't lose! 8) 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 07:37:10 PM by Golden »

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 08:41:30 PM »
I need to make certain I can go first. With my dad's health up and down, I'm a little iffy still. I'll sign up a little nearer to the date.
333 - I'm only half bad!

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 08:45:15 PM »
FWIW, I have a fair bit of steelhead experience, so this should be fairly familiar. I need to confirm if Kelley is going. If so, he said I can borrow one of his kayaks/drift boats.
333 - I'm only half bad!

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 07:07:26 PM »
Great

By the way how's Dad?  Just Buy him a bottle of Macallan 12 year scotch I promise it cures just about everything. He'll be up and at 'em in NO Time! ::)

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>