Author Topic: Gathering at White Oak Bayou and Ponds - June 30, 2012  (Read 3523 times)

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
Gathering at White Oak Bayou and Ponds - June 30, 2012
« on: June 28, 2012, 07:00:05 AM »
I spoke with a couple of the guys at the membership meeting this past week and it seems there is some interest in fishing the Bayou so lets do it.  Right now I have heard from Garland S. Alex B. and a couple of others who sound interested.

We'll meet up around 7:00 am at the Retention Lakes at the corner of Hollister and West Little York across from the Citco station. Bring your yaks, float tubes, or wading gear.  The water is very clear and the bottom relatively hard.  THE BAYOU IS IN GREAT SHAPE and the grass is low enough not to be a pain in the neck. There is food and drinks close by.  Bring your coolers and let's have some fun.  I am hoping it will be somewhat cloudy as there is NO shade anywhere around the water.  Sun protection is a must too.

Hot flys have been the olive wooley bugger, yellow poppers, grasshoppers, spiders etc.  these fish eat bugs not bait fish imitations.

WARNING: CHIGGERS ARE VERY ACTIVE OUT IN THE GRASS SURROUNDING THE PONDS.  BRING SOME KIND OF REPELLANT OR PROTECTION OR YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO STOP SCRATCHING ALL DAY SUNDAY!

This is what you should expect!

Mike

Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Finn Maccumhail

• View Profile
Re: Gathering at White Oak Bayou and Ponds - June 30, 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 08:58:15 AM »
Golden- looks like the surf has kicked up so I'll be joining y'all on White Oak on Saturday. See you there.

Cheers,
Finn

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 09:15:26 AM »
I'd love to be there, but I own the boss a weekend dedicated to her. Gotta pick my fishing days.....
333 - I'm only half bad!

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 02:02:13 PM »
OK FM I'll be there early and I will be bringing my Float Cat Inflatable.

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 07:54:53 AM »
I got up early (0545) Saturday morning to walk the dogs and once we got outside I could tell this day was perfect for bass fishing.  First a light breeze from the NORTH, then low cloud cover that didn't say rain (at least for awhile) and all of what nature has was waking up to a beautiful sunrise.  I checked my messages on the phone and saw that a couple of the members were going to be there early and so I'd better get a move on.

Reach my destination by 0645 and didn't see any of the guys so I drove down to waterside to unload the float cat and my gear. While doing so I noticed Harry's SUV with kayak in place coming around the access road.  Alright Harry is going to love this place.  Hope he brought one of his bamboos.  The water was as still as can be.  Just stare out and watch for a bass to surface on a dragonfly...it was going to happen, and it did all day long.  What an unbelievable day was in store for us on the ponds.  I had my little boat in the water pretty quick while Harry unloaded.  I looked up and saw Dan pulling around the bend too to join us.

All right here we go. My first cast was met with a solid thump and my first of many was tight on my line. Harry wasn't even in the water yet!

This is what the first bank I fished looked like. Very Calming!

I had on a black wooley bugger and they just couldn't refuse it either.

Here's another cookie cutter bass. As you can see the dress for the day was dirty casual.

Here's Harry walking his kayak along a shallow drop off.  His Miss Prissy fly was the bomb.

He caught two or three to my one. He could troll the fly behind his boat and the fish would slam it.

It was so funny Harry would see a fish jump out of the water after a dragon fly and he would cast to it a BOOM fish on. We were having a field day.
Here is Harry moving into the reeds...he was stoked.

I moved in to photo Harry and I saw this large bass swim by my feet and over to a small reed cluster so I invited him to the boat to take a look at my Float Cat's tackle bags!

OOps harry has got another! The smile says it all.

Ok Harry is now just clowning around with another beautiful future five pounder.

On my way back I saw this fish jump two feet in the air to get a dragon fly my cast was met with another solid THUMP.  Nice "Warmouth" Harry caught one too.

As I was walking back up to the trucks I found this laying in the grass! Do you know what it is????

Now you do.  This will clean up nicely for my Grand daughter to use for her first fishing experience.

Dan who was fishing the banks so I didn't get any pictures of him but he too was slaying them and was catching some bigger fish told us that the name ZEBCO stood for Zeb's Bomb Co back during the war.  I didn't know that.
As we pulled out I got this picture of the squall line moving over the ponds. Within minutes it was pouring.

At this time we could see and hear the thunder in the back round hoping the weather would hold off for awhile but it wasn't so we had to move back towards the house

At the end of the day Harry, Dan and had caught 100 plus fish and had a hoot of a time.   Harry promised to bring some boo next time and gave me a couple of Miss Prissy's to help my catch count for next time. Later in the day I went down to the bayou over by my casa and found this little guy.  I saw a huge pig nearby but could get him to rise on the fly again.  Maybe next time.

Seeing another squall forming nearby I beat it back to the house.

Harry said he was going to try and make it back here during the fourth holiday.  If you want to join us bring your smallest stuff and let's have a bass or I mean blast! Till next time!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Finn Maccumhail

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 06:06:22 PM »
Here's the link on Zero Hour Bomb Co. An interesting bit of fishing trivia.

http://www.zebco.com/historicalzebco.html