Author Topic: Mini Expo/Knot tying table  (Read 1108 times)

Joe French

• View Profile
Mini Expo/Knot tying table
« on: June 27, 2012, 06:54:30 AM »
I have volunteered to have a knot tying table at mini expo in August. I am not an expert in knots and will learn more than I know now. Asking for ideas from people who have presented before. Also would like for members to show me what knots they are using so I can pass them on.

I am thinking about having fly tying vises with hooks to practice on as well as large cords (1/4 inch) to visually see knots. I have the "Little Redbook of Knots" and a few others.

Joe French
Joe French
Mitzi 15
Shallowsport 18

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
To fish, or not to fish?  What a stupid question!

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
Re: Mini Expo/Knot tying table
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 10:23:38 AM »
This is a great idea Joe...I have only two knots I use for fly to leader. (the loop and the clinch knot)  I need more.  Not really sure how to tie the Palomar... need to learn line to line knots like the blood knot. Mine don't seem to align correctly.  How about some of the knots you use with braid lines.  I don't know any of them???
I'll be there watching and learning.  Thanks for your help!

Golden
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

redhead

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 11:58:11 AM »
Joe,

If you can get the TFF web to add a Knot Tying Section to the Education/Events/Rod Building/Knot Tying, all of us could benefit throughout the year, not just at this event. I have a number of locations I use to learn about New Knots,Old Knots, the strongest,etc.. I also have made a number of stands for this specific exercise. I will look all of them and make a list. TV has a Knot tying section on one of the Sat./Sun. morning stations called "Knot Wars".

Mike

Joe French

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 01:09:41 PM »
I printed out 23 knots from www.netknots.com

I was aware of "knot wars". I was looking for a knot for tying flurocarbon leaders to braid. I have been using the Albright. I have read that the "Yucatan Knot" was stronger than the Albright.

There are lot of knots that are useful from the www.netknots.com

I'll take a look at Puck's site also.

Midcurrent e-mail just had information on "Davy's Knot" and "Jack's Knot" . (not Klinger)

Joe
Joe French
Mitzi 15
Shallowsport 18

Animal Chris

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 01:57:51 PM »
Joe,

I should be at the Expo and will throw in if you need some help. A good source of knots is Lefty Kreh's book on knots Plus, it comes with a CD in the back. Another good source is Mark Sosin's CD on knot tying. I've got a copy if you'd like to check it out.

Chris

Joe French

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 05:08:01 AM »
Chris,
I would be interested in your CD. Maybe could bring to July meeting? Also would love to have you help at the expo.

Joe French
Joe French
Mitzi 15
Shallowsport 18

Joe French

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 05:33:42 AM »
Here is u-tube video of knot testing with fish weighing scale. Hope this works.

src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZXGoIMyxiPQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Joe French
Mitzi 15
Shallowsport 18

kzin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 09:30:41 AM »
I use both davey (Wotton's) knot and the Orvis knot to attach flies.  They are similar and both are easy to tie.  I think either works better than the clinch knot, improved or otherwise.

jerry