Author Topic: Got this email this morning - it may or may not interest you.  (Read 391 times)

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to put out a "FISH FLASH" to give you the heads-up on a fly you might try wherever you are in Texas.

We had a mild winter and you may have noticed grasshoppers never really died off over the cold months. That has resulted in biblical numbers of grasshoppers around Lake Ray Roberts, and now IN Lake Ray Roberts. Generally, whatever water you are fishing - ponds, Central Texas rivers or other lakes - should produce if you tie on a grasshopper (fly).

Conditions on Ray Roberts over the past few days lead to the most interesting phenomenon I have ever seen on that lake.

Last Friday I went out with Joel Hays to fish for sand bass, and we noticed nervous water in the main body of the lake when we were about to head in. So we motor on out to take a look, and find a flotilla of grasshoppers floating along with the tiny wind - in a narrow band way offshore. And they are being gorged on by catfish, up to 20 pounds, and large carp. Seeing as we were out to catch volumes of sand bass, we didn't have any grasshopper flies on hand.

After looking at the weather forecast over the weekend, Monday (yesterday) looked like the best day for a repeat. I loaded up the kayak and paddled out at about the time the wind was supposed to die back. This time I had a couple of store bought grasshopper flies and a couple of hastily tied grasshoppers. The wind died, and the fish came up for the grasshoppers that were there once again!

It's pretty much impossible to fish and take photographs from a kayak at the same time, but the water cleared for about four feet of visibility down, and it was almost like the catfish had taken trout vitamins. The would come up look at the fly, and bolt for the deep - unless I twitched the fly just enough for them to have instincts take over. In the end I caught all the catfish I would ever want to, four huge carp and one gar that was over 30 inches. All on topwater grasshopper flies. I had plenty of outright rejections from carp as well, as they would nudge and slup at the fly before taking or not. One of the flies I tied at the last minute was rejected - 100%, so that one goes back into the heap.

This setup is mostly about conditions, and I still haven't figured out where the grasshoppers are coming from - simply out of shoreline trees, or swarms that hit the water during migration, but not only do the grasshoppers have to be present, the water has to be calm enough for the fish to locate them. The calmness, of course, makes for good casting and absolutely beautiful water colors. Once the wind kicked back in, it was instantly over.

Posts on Texas Fly Caster may be spotty over the next week as we are working out in Cottondale, Texas, on our Airstream Safari restoration. We had to wait until it got hot enough to start on that project - www.airstreamdiary.com. However, I am keeping a kayak loaded just in case these conditions repeat at any given moment. Feel free to give me a text at 940-380-0408 if you want to know more about conditions.

Talk to you soon amigos!

Shannon

--
Texas Fly Caster
Fly Fishing Culture on the Skids
www.texasflycaster.com
800-816-8259