Author Topic: White Oak Bayou - April 29, 2012  (Read 1211 times)

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
White Oak Bayou - April 29, 2012
« on: April 30, 2012, 07:23:23 AM »
Since I had to work most of the day Saturday and missed the "Spectacular" ...I thought i would take my frustration out on the local waters.  First off the grass has not been cut.  I saw No Snakes.  Now I don't know if that was a good thing or not. Maybe I just couldn't see them because of the over growth...who knows.  Fishing was good.  The bass havae settled into a post spawn mode.  Not real aggressive but when they are feeding they ate.  I tried using a fly tied by Hunter Swope that had some good flash and chartreuse but no luck  So I just happen to try a large popper to see if I could get the fish to get aggressive.  Well that worked and I caught some good'ns.

Here is the first on a popper.

Close view of same fish.

This one is doing the Speckled trout head shake and use your close up viewer here.

Pretty nice fish!

Here's another from the exact same spot as the last.

Here is what they were eating.

This one almost looks like a Kentucky with the marking around his head.

Another.

Your getting the picture ..er pictures here aren't you?

Just letting you guys see the WOB is still cooking and just be aware the weeds were really a huge hassle.  There is now some ground thistle that is really causing some line trouble.  Once your in it ...well you are in it good!

One photo above is giving me some trouble loading...don't know why but it was a good pic when viewed closeup!  Oh well.

Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: White Oak Bayou - April 29, 2012
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 09:26:02 AM »
Geez Mike, how did you get all those nice pictures taken while catching fish when those guys who went to the Sunfish spectacular didn't take but a few telephone photos?
I am figuring that they were too busy pre-feeding the fish "gulp" laced scaries and drinking beer!  Huh?

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

DZap

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 04:53:54 PM »
See ya in the ditch......thats my hood and home waters!!

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 06:08:18 PM »
Saturday morning the Wormdrowner and I got together with Scotty B. and we tore up the fish at the retention pond just off the Bayou.  We met up with a new member Dan who joined us and with his help I'm sure we all caught a total of more than 200 BASS!  That's what I said 200 easily.  What a day. We found the pond to be an easy wade and the fly "de jur" was the olive #4 wooley bugger.  Everybody caught one fish after the other.  Ultra clear water and sight casting to bass swimming everywhere.  The speed of the present
ation was the key strip slowly and you caught nothing, hand over hand striping and fish on! I took some pictures and will post them here soon.  I am going to suggest that TFF start holding their casting class here.  Lots of room for all...its free,,,and you are going to catch fish. Perfect for your lightest equipment too.  Oh yeah the Bayou has been cut and is very walkable too.  All good news here.

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 06:36:56 PM »
Let's put it this way; I caught so many fish on wooly buggers that I got bored and switched to a topwater frog pattern just to even things up a bit. They still went tearing after the fly! You definitely want your lightest rod as these fish weren't big, but they sure were fun!   ;D

BTW: Golden isn't exaggerating when he says 200 fish. We really did catch that many!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 06:38:28 PM by Wormdrowner »
333 - I'm only half bad!

Finn Maccumhail

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 03:30:56 PM »
Graham, Scott & Quigley- good to meet up with y'all.

I'm wondering what kind of covert stocking mission we could run on this basin? Dump some shad & maybe crawfish in there to fatten up those bass.

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 07:08:04 AM »
FINN- I am going to contact the Harris County Flood Control District and find out about how they stocked these ponds.  I will request if we (TFF) can donate funds to add additional forage such as shiner minnows, bluegill perch, catfish, etc.,  I would believe a marine biologist should be involved.  Last year during the drought these ponds almost dried up but the fish we found last week appeared to be yearlings.  I wonder when they last stocked the ponds?  I'll keep all informed as to what I find out.  What a nice place to hold in-town outings.  Can you imagine what it will be like once we get some forage in there and our weather returns to normal as far as periodic rainfall goes! WHEW.

I am also going to urge the Club's Board to promote a "Kid Fish" at this location.  I know of no place better in all of Houston to swing a flyrod for a beginner too.   

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 02:26:33 PM »
Mike, I like  your last line and will support it.  I think to get the board to approve and allicate funds, you should  find some member who will head up this project.

I also like you first paragraph.  However those fish don't look under fed.  It might me wrong to put  too much food in their face.  They get lazy.

Dave

Finn Maccumhail

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 08:51:52 PM »
Golden- sounds like a plan. I really still cannot get over the water quality and clarity there.

If you could find a way to convince residential developers to simply plant native aquatics and vegetation they could have much more attractive neighborhood ponds instead of having to dye them that ugly teal green color.

Golden

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 12:33:58 PM »
SORRY I HAD NOT ANSWERED SOONER BUT WHOEVER IS IN CHARGE OF THESE PONDS JUST RECENTLY PLUGGED MORE CAT TAILS AROUND THEIR PERIMETERS.  THERE IS A GOOD AMOUNT OF AQUATIC GRASS GROWING UP FROM THE DEEP BOTTOMS. I AM HOPING THEY DON'T GET CHOKED OUT WITH TOO MUCH PLANT LIFE BUT THAT WONT HURT THE FISH ONLY THE FISHERMAN.   

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>