Author Topic: The Random New Guy  (Read 816 times)

DZap

The Random New Guy
« on: May 11, 2012, 06:14:50 PM »
     I'm glad I found TFF's site.....its nice to know I'm not the only whack job swinging a fly rod in our local bayous.
I'm a Houston native, 34 years of age, and addicted to fishing.  Its all dad's fault. I picked up his unused fly rod(hes a salty dog) around the age of ten, just to learn something new. It stuck.
     These days, I'm primarily a freshwater junkie with the occasional saltwater trip thrown in for good measure. Bass and the rest of the freshwater crowd are my usual targets. This year I'm chasing a very realistic state record(3 actually)...nope, not telling. I've been chasing trout all over the west....Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Colo., Utah, Nevada, Cali., B.C. and so on. My salty experiences on the fly have never taken me outside TX and have been pretty lack luster as of late. That should change, with a new to me kayak letting me explore nearly unlimited new to me options. My need for something new on the fly took me to Holland last year in search of hungry pike and xander....so of course it dropped to 40 degrees and started raining the day I got there. Typical.
      It has taken me a while to learn SOME tying techniques and start tying my own.  Out of necessity, I've gotten pretty good.
I usually tie for larger freshwater denizens and then occasionally tie redfish/permit/bonefish, spec, tarpon, and blue-water flies.  The smallest hook on my bench would be a size twelve for panfish flies....no nymphs coming out of my vise!!  Trout flies bore me to death....I'll buy those . ::) 
      So thats me....the long haired kid wearing orange sunglasses, in White Oak Bayou, swinging a gaudy fly with a 9wt.  If you see me, say hi.  Don't sneak up on me though....I'm usually well armed!! 
      I Look forward to meeting and casting with you guys and learning more about local fishing and fishing opportunities. Finding other local tiers to share with and learn from is what I'm truly after.  Looks like I found the right place...........FISH ON!!

redhead

Re: The Random New Guy
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 08:27:37 PM »
If you wish to help the club, meet other tiers, talk to the public and bring them up to date on fly fishing, join us, in Needville on the 19th and 20th of this month. I need all Tff Members to bring their tools and ideas and help out. I will be there the complete two days and need others from the club to have a fly tying show for the public. Look at the event schedule listed on our web and tell me what hours you can fill in. We will all benefit.

Mike

DZap

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 03:35:06 PM »
Grrrrr....wish I had seen this sooner :-[.....I'd be there if I weren't working all weekend.
Thanks for the invite though, and yall have an awesome time!!

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 04:48:04 PM »
Things like the Needville event will be posted on the home page. Doesn't hurt to scan it when you visit.
D

DZap

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 01:34:25 PM »
I'm paying attention to it now..........
I look forward to meeting you guys in a couple Tuesdays. Thankfully, its one of my regular days off.