Author Topic: Recently moved here  (Read 77 times)

Darth

• View Profile
Recently moved here
« on: September 14, 2014, 08:28:28 PM »
Hi guys, my name is Jason (42) and I've recently moved to Katy (seven Meadows) from Aberdeen in Scotland! I was bitten by the fly fishing bug about 1 year ago and most of my fishing has been in local fisheries fishing for Rainbow trout!
Im currently a house husband so I've got plenty of spare time on my hands since my wife is at work and my daughter is at school, providing the chores are done 1st  :D
I would appreciate some local info on where I can use my fly rod as I've seen plenty of people fishing in the local ponds in cinco and grand lakes but they all seem to be bait/spin fishing!
If there's anyone on here local to me that wouldn't mind me tagging along for a cast that would be great too.... Thanks Jason
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 09:08:32 AM by Puck »

Dave Kelly

• Administrator
  • Onward through the swamp.
    • View Profile
Re: Recently moved here
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 10:10:03 PM »
Go to the Fresh Water  Chat page   on this forum.  Puck and Quig both live near you along with about a dozen more of our members. All fish those ponds. on weekends and after work. Start reading and asking questions.

Come to one of our meetings on the last tuesday of the month ab Bayland park on Bissonet.

And WElCONE.

Darth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 10:29:35 PM »
Excellent thank you, I'll go have a look  :)

Wormdrowner

• Global Moderator
  • Once tried to double haul with a Pocket Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 04:03:51 AM »
Hello Darth!

Most of the ponds are fine for fly fishing. Don Puckett's (Puck) subdivision has some good places to fish for bass, bream (sunfish) and catfish. We also do quite a bit of saltwater fly fishing in the club as well. Trout fishing is a bit more difficult as the nearest trout waters are the Guadalupe River and it is a put and take fishery. We will be having an outing there in late Nov - early Dec if you are interested.  Feel free to send me a message if you'd like more information on what's going on. Welcome aboard!

Michael Quigley
Saltwater Outings Chair
333 - I'm only half bad!

Golden

• Global Moderator
  • Big Trout Fear Me ...Just Ask Them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 07:36:38 AM »
Darth may I suggest since you have some available time to fish you look back in our archives and check out White Oak Bayou. Typically you will find some really good fishing down there and it is not a far drive at all. There are a few lakes also near by the bayou if you have a kayak or float boat that can be real fun too.

As the others have said come look us up for one of our great meetings, bring the family and let us know you are there.

Hint to the wise...start shopping for your saltwater poling skiff...jus say'n! ;D ;D ;D
Never Met A Redfish I Wouldn't Eat!

<*)))><{GOLDEN}><(((*>

Darth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 08:08:45 AM »
Thanks guys...... I'll also need to build up my freshwater kit too as all of my fishing has been from the bank at stocked fisheries, never tried float tubing or kayaking but sounds great!
I'm just a bit confused as to where locally I'm allowed to fish.... Will I get chased out of some of the sub division ponds?

Puck

• Fishaholic
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 09:09:50 AM »
Back to Damon 7 Lakes  a link

Join in on the fun at Damon 7 lakes this weekend.

Puck
To fish, or not to fish?  What a stupid question!