« on: March 22, 2014, 06:47:06 PM »
The plan was to hit the river at daylight and then visit with my old neighbors near the area.
On the road by 0230, and kayak ready and loaded into the river at 0545. I had checked the SRA to find out about any water releases. One site listed "no generation until further notice." Another listed only one generator operating at 0630. What did I find at O-dark-thirty? 2 generators going full blast, and it looked like it had been going on for a while.
I tried to peddle up to an eddy that I knew was upriver. I had fished from the shoreline at that spot a few times before. The water was rough, turbulent, and flowing quickly. I quickly realized that there was no way I could manage this in the dark. As the sky turned from dark to gray, I let the current take me back to the launch point. It was just too dangerous to keep trying.
Throwing a sinking line of the 5 wt brought a large freshwater drum to hand, but none of the large stripers that I could see blasting bait. Even the white bass seemed to be out of reach for me again today.
After a couple of hours of casting practice, and fighting the current I decided to pack up and head over to "cold-water" the bottom released section of the river. Pool #2 had a 40+ pound striper pulled from it a few years ago.
I launched, again, at the "cold-water" side, and started travelling upriver. Things have changed since the last time I was here. The narrow part of the river that funneled the water from pool 1 to pool 2 was now just a mild flow. I didn't take a trip down to see what pool 3 held. I pulled the kayak above the last rocks, and tried some edges, all with no luck.
The scenery was great, but the fishing wasn't what I was hoping for.