John Scarborough Sunfish Spectacular, 2016-04-09-0700Link to information on new websiteWhen:
April 9th, 2016 (2016-04-09-0700)Where:
Damon 7 Lakes,
3533 CR 4,
(Old Damon W. Columbia Road)
Damon, Texas 77430
N29.2524671 – W95.7412050 Start:
TDTF (Too Dark to Fish)Trip Leader:
Two ate one 865 thirty-two sixteene-mail:
doncpuckett(at) gee male dot comTrip Description:
Join us for the annual chance to capture the John Scarborough Sunfish Spectacular Trophy and a decent feed on Saturday the 9th of April (date is confirmed) at Damon Seven Lakes. Fishing from the shore, but float tubes and kayaks are quite successful. Camping the night before is available, and is encouraged. We have permission.How to sign up:
1. Sign-up here
2. On the sign up sheet distributed at the monthly meeting
3. or e-mail the trip leader. (doncpuckett(at) gee male dot com)
4. You must have a day waiver for Damon 7 Lakes to enter the property Friday night, or Saturday. You can get it here: JS_Sunfish_Spectacular2016 How to get waiver forms: Download PDF form here
. Required Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information.Cost:
$40 for Texas FlyFishers members with paid up dues. Cost per angler is approved, and it does include lunch. Special pricing for kids, students, and non-fishing spouses. Contact “Puck” for details.
Directions: http://www.mjacompany.com/directions.htmlAbout the area: http://www.mjacompany.com/7lakes.html
“Damon’s Seven Lakes is a beautiful one-of-a-kind private fishing club located in Damon, Texas just west of Highway 36 between Rosenburg and West Columbia. Contrary to the name there are now nine different, unique lakes of good size that hold largemouth bass, tiger bass, catfish, black crappie, and bluegill. Catching bass in the three to five pound range is a normal occurance. Twelve pound bass and channel cats and twelve inch bream have been caught in the last three years.”Important items:
• Member dues are current! Or you can pay your dues at this time.
• Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information. ( Can be downloaded here )
• Extra change of dry clothes
• Wind and/or water proof jacket
• Lunch, Water, snacks (You will need to bring your own lunch for this outing. The cook’s on his day off for this one).
• Sunscreen and Mosquito Repellant
• Hat, Polarized Glasses
• First Aid KitRecommended Equipment:
Canoe, kayak, or kickboat, (These are not needed, but it is a good time to try stuff out)
3-7 wt fly rod with floating line
Extra rodRecommended Flies:
Yellow spider, size 6-12
Miss Prissy or similar small popper
PGPP, size 8-12
SOB, size 6-10
Hare-E, size 10
Squirrelly, size 12
Dark Wooly bugger size 6-12
And I’m sure the list will grow when a few folks read this and make their own recommendations.Recommended guidelines for participants:
• Notify the trip leader if you have any potential concerns
• If inexperienced, then buddy up.
• Have proper safety equipment
• If you are boating or kayaking, inform the trip leader of your float plan if planning to fish alone or longer then the designated times.
• Sign in and sign out at the covered picnic area.
We now have a couple of volunteers to cook the hot dogs and hamburgers for our lunch. Thanks Mary-Kay and Skip..
Does anybody know where the trophy resides? I haven’t seen it in a few years, and we may need to make another one. Remember, “No pictures = no proof”
We again have permission to camp the night before. I highly recommend it.Puck