« on: April 25, 2014, 04:37:31 PM »
Does anyone else from the club want to join me in attempting this competition?
Starting Sat., April 26th (Opening day of trout season for several states), post a picture of you with your fish on The Drake’s Facebook page (there’ll be a special spot for entries). Whoever posts the most different species of fish, that they caught between April 26, 2014, and April 25th, 2015 (Mountain Standard Time), on a fly rod, will be the Grand Prize winner. There will also be monthly and quarterly winners, with some great prizes (rods, reels, line, coolers, sunglasses, gear) provided by the sponsors below.
THREE IMPORTANT THINGS TO REMEMBER:
1) You must use the hashtag #DrakemagBigYear when entering via Twitter or Instagram, for us to be able to track your entry. For Facebook entries, join the contest via The Big Year link provided on the The Drake Magazine Facebook page. (We’re using a third-party app called OfferPop).
2) While the fish can be from anywhere in the world, we are using the IGFA list of species. So, for example, a "cutthroat trout" is considered one species—even if you catch one Snake River Cutty and one Colorado Cutty, it’s still just one cutty.
3) This is a catch-and-release competition, so each fish must be alive and be properly handled in the photos. Also, like the birding version, we are using the honor system. If the fish you post was caught before April 26th, 2014, it is not eligible. No cheating!
THE TWO MAIN GOALS OF THIS EVENT:
1) To have fun while winning cool gear.
2) To showcase how many different types of fish can be caught on a fly rod.
This is not a "biggest fish" contest or a "most fish" contest, it’s a variety-of-species contest. For a more detailed explanation of the rules, and to see some of the prizes, and how to win them, visit drakemag.com.
Thanks, and good luck!