Texas FlyFishers of Houston June Outing Event:
Fence Lake aboard the M/V SkimmerWhen:
Saturday, June 27th, 2015 Where:
Fence Lakes - Rockport, TX Start Time:
05:00 am - Load Out, Skimmer Dock, Fulton, TX End Time:
4:30 pm - Return to Dock Trip Leader:
Chris Sumers Phone:
(713) 702-6712 e-mail: email@example.com
(Home) Trip Description:
Saturday morning, we will be ferried to St. Joe’s Island aboard the M/V Skimmer for a day of skinny water kayak & wade fishing in the Fence Lake area. About 3:00 pm, the Skimmer will return to pick us up at the mouth of Fence Lake and take us back to the dock How to sign up: Sign Up Here
or E-mail the trip leader.How to get waiver forms: Download PDF form here.
Attached to the outing profile (see below) The Waiver of Liability is required so have it filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information before you board the Skimmer on Saturday morning.Cost:
There will be a charge for the Ferry Service aboard the Skimmer. That amount $35.00. I will collect this at the Skimmer the morning of the outings. Note:
This rate will be based on a minimum of 10 people. If you need to rent a kayak, they are available through the Skimmer. Tips for the crew are appreciated. Directions:
We will meet up at the M/V Skimmer, which is moored in Fulton Yacht Basin, directly behind Charlotte Plummer’s Restaurant. Once everyone has arrived, we'll load the kayaks and gear out on the Skimmer and head out as soon as the captain shoves off. Map included in the attached Outing Profile NOTE: Be sure your kayak is empty. Also, be sure to bring a tie up rope. This makes it easier to launch and retrieve the kayaks. About the area:
Fence Lake is a relatively small and shallow bay (averaging about 2 ft.). This combined with the grassy bottom keeps the water clear and should allow you the opportunity to sight cast to fish. The numerous fingers and creeks should provide ample opportunity to explore the area and enjoy a peaceful day of fishing. Important items:
• Make sure your member dues are current!
• Waiver of Liability, filled out and signed, along with emergency contact information
• Extra change of dry clothes
• Wind and/or water proof jacket
• Lunch, Water, snacks
• Sunscreen and Mosquito Repellant
• Hat, Polarized Glasses
• First Aid KitRecommended Equipment:
6-8 wt outfit with weight forward, floating line, tapered leader with a 10-12 lb. test tippet. Bring along some extra leader material. Recommended Flies:
Shrimp patterns, Bead Eye Clouser Minnows and light colored grizzly seaducers are the productive flies. Spoon flies, crab and kwan style patterns also work well. Size 6 to 2. For surface flies, choose a pattern that will land softly, such as the Gartside Gurgler or a Dink or VIP popper. Note: There is a lot of grass in Fence Lake, both under and on top of the water. You might want to add a weed guard to your flies. You can always snip it off. Recommended guidelines for participants:
• Notify the trip leader if you have any potential concerns
• If inexperienced, then buddy up.
• Have proper safety equipment
• If you are boating or kayaking, inform the trip leader of your float plan if planning to fish alone or longer then the designated times.
• Sign in and sign out at the launch site. Inform the trip leader if you will be launching in a different place.